PATCH - HTTP NTLM Authentication

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at kdemail.net
Thu Sep 23 15:56:28 BST 2004

Waldo Bastian wrote:
>> Running kio_http as a helper application is more than fine. Loading
>> kio_http.so into the program might have some issues.
>
>IO-slaves are not designed to be loaded into a program. I don't know where
> you get the idea that we would ever want to do something like that.

From the SE Linux discussion. Since it can apply specific permissions and
restrictions based on process-name, ioslaves should be invoked from the
application that requested the I/O -- as opposed from klauncher. They
should also get the app name.

The easiest way around is to dlopen(). Failing that, we'd have to fork() and
launch a stub which would set its program name to something else (bearing
in mind that SE Linux might have protections against changing the program
name).

I'm not saying we are going to do that. But the discussion provided an
insight into a possibility.

--
  Thiago Macieira  -  Registered Linux user #65028
   thiago (AT) macieira (DOT) info