kioslave FTP - working on new features

David Faure faure at kde.org
Wed Sep 22 16:06:16 BST 2004

On Wednesday 22 September 2004 16:01, Juergen Pfennig wrote:
> Hello,
> David Faure suggested that I could work on some FTP enhancements. To start
> with the most important point: doing so could take same time (several weeks).
> If somebody can do it faster and wants to do it please let me know.
>
> (1) A problem with symbolic links (bug #57172)
>
> The kioslave ignores the existence of sym links.
Does it? This used to work, at least. Can you actually reproduce 57172 ?

> Kio seems to provide no infrastructure for sym links.
This is wrong. KIO definitely supports symlinks - how else would people
copy symlinks around with konqueror?
See KIO::symlink in job.h, and virtual void symlink(...) in slavebase.h

> Ftp would use some known behaviour of kio (konqueror) to avoid extra round
> trips for sym link detection (before a transfer is started, kio does a
> detailed dir list, this info contains the sym-link target and could be cached
> by ftp).
I'm not sure what you mean here. I suggest looking at kio_file for how it
handles symlinks.