Safari patches. State of KHTML.

Dimosthenis Kaponis d.kaponis at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Sep 22 01:17:28 BST 2004

Hello,

Before I begin, and as per the request on
www.konqueror.org/developers/, I am stating that I am not subscribed to
this list.

By compiling KDE 3.3 early this month, I was saddened to see that the
'cousin' browser, Apple's Safari, provides vastly superior rendering
quality on a much larger number of pages. I must admit I was surprised,
as I had the impression that Apple was providing patches back to the
community in a timely fashion and that, as they are using KHTML, it
would be fairly straightforward to apply those patches to the
konqueror/khtml codebase. I must assume that this has not happened to
date, judging from the differences between Safari's rendering and
Konqueror's.

Are these correct assumptions? Are the reasons for which Apple's
patches/changes -- if they exist -- have not been integrated with the
khtml codebase of a political, legal or otherwise non-technical nature,
or are they the result or reduced developer interest/manpower/time
and/or unavailability by Hyatt and his colleagues?

Finally, with Gecko providing consistently better quality output than
the Konqueror KHTML variety (Safari comes pretty close in most cases --
something surely not bad for khtml and kde), is the qt-gecko port going
to slowly overshadow khtml's dominance in konqueror or is it expected
that khtml will -- soon -- be brought up to the level of the safari
'branch'?

Regards,

Dimosthenis.