Is it okay to spoof navigator.product by default?

Rigo Wenning rigo at w3.org
Tue Sep 21 17:00:31 BST 2004

Am Tuesday 21 September 2004 15:55 verlautbarte David Faure :
> On Tuesday 21 September 2004 15:51, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> > The question is if anyone would object if I commit the attached
> > patch. Is it okay to pretend to be Gecko, yet another place?
> > Since it is a value IE doesn't provide and one Safari already
> > spoofs, I cannot see the harm.
>
> Well this is going to break every other site that actually has
> konqueror-specific code (and that uses product to detect khtml),
> doesn't it?

Well, there was something to avoid this:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1

> I'm okay with spoofing when the useragent was explicitely set to
> something else, but IMHO by default the product should remain
> "Konqueror/khtml".

Spoofing too much get's you the argument that still 90% of the browsers
are IE and therefor site should use IE-specific codes instead of the
standardized html/xhtml.

So I agree, stick to your identity ;-)

Rigo