[quanta-devel] Fwd: [First patch] design mode (was: [Q] replacing the textarea widget)

Koos Vriezen koos.vriezen at xs4all.nl
Mon Sep 13 22:05:53 BST 2004

On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 07:51:19PM +0200, Nicolas Deschildre wrote:
[..]

> > > There seem to be two ways to do this (as usual, ms and moz way). Looks
> > > to me the moz way (http://www.mozilla.org/editor/midas-spec.html), is
> > > far more simplier than the TextObject MS way. What should we support,
> > > both?
> > > Anyway, I've attached some boilerplate code for the midas way. I've
> > > already hooked in to the keyevent code from the caret and some very
> > > simply editing in HTMLDocumentImpl, just to get something working.
>
> What are you exactly trying to do?
> Are you trying to support designmode by using the current Caret code?
[..]
> And the quanta code for edition is not clean at all. It is a succesion of
> hacks to work first alone, then with Caret version 1, then Caret version 2,
> and i won't clean the code until the Webcore caret will be merged.
>

> > > So what to do? Commit this and work further on it?
>
> Don't forget that a new implementation of the caret mode is on the way, so it
> will be useless to reinvent the wheel.

Hmm, didn't know the caret code itself will be replaced too. Leo talked
about the Webcore merge after 3.4. For me it is to try FCKEditor working
with khtml before 3.4. So it's more like to get something working now
and fix other things that prevent it (like it now seems the lack of
onreadystatechange events).
I guess this code will never make it to khtml, hopefully other bugs I
find may result in patches that will.

Thanks for your comments, and btw. do you have any plans before 3.4 wrt.
designmode?

Koos