[quanta-devel] Fwd: [First patch] design mode (was: [Q] replacing the textarea widget)

Nicolas Deschildre ndeschildre at kdewebdev.org
Mon Sep 13 18:51:19 BST 2004

On Monday 13 September 2004 04:38, David Joham wrote:
> Hi everyone!

Hi david!

> I'm forwarding this from the khtml mailing list since it pertains to Quanta
> and I thought it might be interesting to the team here....
>

> Best regards,
>
> David

What are you exactly trying to do?
Are you trying to support designmode by using the current Caret code?

> > Making it work somehow, I've took a look at the quanta KHTMLPart
> > override, strangely called KafkaWidget,

That's an old story ;-)

> > and wondered what would be the
> > best approach getting this to work.
> > I don't think switching transparently to KafkaWidget when entering a
> > design mode, would be the best thing to do.

Indeed.

> > But re-implement/copy code
> > from quanta has also its drawbacks, eg it's quite some code (but likely
> > some shortcuts too, no parallel node tree needed and access to khtml
> > namespace).

And the quanta code for edition is not clean at all. It is a succesion of
hacks to work first alone, then with Caret version 1, then Caret version 2,
and i won't clean the code until the Webcore caret will be merged.

> > So what to do? Commit this and work further on it?

Don't forget that a new implementation of the caret mode is on the way, so it
will be useless to reinvent the wheel.

Nicolas