User Agent to add

Dawit A. adawit at kde.org
Tue Sep 7 14:14:48 BST 2004

On Tuesday 07 September 2004 06:08, David Faure wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 September 2004 08:58, Kenneth Peiruza wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> >    Once I requiered to add Googlebot UA to the kio's UA-list. I've found
> > this useful in my job as Security Tester.
> >
> >    I'd be glad to see it included, but I don't have/want CVS access!
>
> Added, thanks.
>
> > However, it should be great to add an UA-Editor IOT edit/create your own
> > User Agents.
>
> Dawit: the user-agent used to be editable, right? Why was it made
> non-editable?

Yes, it used to be editable. I changed it because we wanted to encourage
people to stop changing the UA string. I think the reason is obvious. If we
always pretend to be another browser, no website will bother fixing their
broken sites that only accomodate IE or any other specific browser
implementation. Anyways, that is the same reason why it is no longer easy to
change the default user-agent string to something else. However, I guess it
makes sense to allow the user edit the existing entries just like the
web-shortcuts. I will put it on my todo list...

--
Regards,
Dawit A.