doctype sniffing

Stephan Kulow coolo at kde.org
Tue Oct 26 21:41:37 BST 2004

Hi!

I discuss this with several people since over a week now and revised the patch
a lot, but meanwhile I don't have any open issues with it anymore, so I'm
posting it for people to have a look.

This patch takes over the actual doctype sniffing code from safari, but
doesn't follow safari in many other aspects. But the important part here is
the introduction of a clear DTD list we can maintain without having to hack
heuristics (gperf serves well).

This should fix quite some web pages out there as the Transitional DTD
is a pretty popular one and we enabled quirks so far and won't in future.
But it has to be tried on bugs.kde.org, haven't so far (btw: bugs.kde.org
is one of the pages that changes under the patch - you'll notice the
difference in font sizes - I still haven't looked if it's an actual bug in
the HTML :)

Greetings, Stephan