#88558 - labels being focusable

Tobias Anton TA at ESC-Electronics.de
Fri Oct 22 16:48:34 BST 2004

On Freitag, 22. Oktober 2004 11:52, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > > In which spec have you read that labels should be Tab focusable?
> >
> > In the html spec, which you're obviously unaware of.
>
>  And which you don't feel bothered enough to quote and or at least link to.

I supposed you knew where to find it, sorry for my ignorance. But frankly, I
don't think it's worth to discuss this issue with somebody who doesn't even
know on what definition my implementation is based upon, which also applied
to you until you wrote this mail.

> > > 4. labels in almost all cases directly precede their matching UI
> > > element in the tab order (and the rest can be probably considered
> > > broken UI)
> >
> > This is a false assumption and will remain so even if you repeat that a
> > million times.
>
>  While your opposite assumption is true, even though you haven't provided a
> single proof for it, although explicitly asked?

I didn't make an assumption at all. That's the key difference between my and
your argumentation.

>  Ok, let's make this simple:
>
> a) the element is right after the label in focus tab - just not having the
> label in tab order will in practice be the same like the label receiving
> the focus and forwarding it to the element

With the difference that the label's onfocus and onblur handler are fired
before the element gets focus. This can lead to a different event flow.

>  Moreover, your implementation is against the spec. It doesn't forward the
> focus, as requested in the spec and quoted by me above.

And exactly this is what we have to fix. But how to forward the focus without
breaking the tab order?

Cheers
-- Tobias