#88558 - labels being focusable

Tobias Anton TA at ESC-Electronics.de
Fri Oct 22 01:55:18 BST 2004

On Mittwoch, 20. Oktober 2004 14:41, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > In which spec did you read that?
>
>  In the spec called "My user experience says it is that way everywhere".

That's exactly what I did _not_ ask for.

> In which spec have you read that labels should be Tab focusable?

In the html spec, which you're obviously unaware of.

> > That's your opinion. I think differently. Mainly because I consider the
> > annoyance for mouse-clickers less grave than you do.
>
>  Ehm? There is no annoyance for mouse-clickers, they do click whatever they
> want, and generally don't use the keyboard for things like this. This is
> annoyance for keyboard users (and, if I understand this correctly, also
> includes most impaired users).

Mouse-clickers that occasionally use the tab key, that is.

>  Moreover, you commented on my reasoning with "That's your opinion. I think
> differently."

Your reasoning wasn't based on facts but on your bias. That's why I recognize
it as an opinion.

> > > which I don't think can stand against the reasons for reverting.
> >
> > Whatever we decide on that, reverting the patch cannot be the solution.
> > Please read the spec and fix it the right way instead of wasting time
> > with long, redundant and destructive arguments.
>
>  Oh please, you're getting silly.

Perhaps I've already been ever since ;-)
But seriously - read the spec and we can discuss the issue.

> > But be aware that the spec is not very precise on the focusability of
> > labels. If there are doubts about how to read the spec, we can discuss it
> > here. But please stop explaining the situation to me - it's understood.
>
> 1. the spec is not precise on the focusability of labels

Did you read it?

> 4. labels in almost all cases directly precede their matching UI element in
> the tab order (and the rest can be probably considered broken UI)

This is a false assumption and will remain so even if you repeat that a
million times.

>  Reverting the patch is _the_ solution.

No. What you probably mean is changing the return value of
HTMLLabelElementImpl::isSelectable(). But I think we should do this
intelligently - e.g. we could return true if the label has no "for" attribute
or its ui element is not inside the label itself. The spec disallows nested
focusable elements anyway.

Cheers
-- Tobias