#88558 - labels being focusable

Datschge datschge at gmx.de
Sat Oct 16 18:59:07 BST 2004

On Friday 15 October 2004 18:25, Tobias Anton wrote:
> My point is about accessibility. Everything that can be activated
> by mouse should be activatable via keyboard as well.

Then please check out your code actual behavior. With KDE CVS visiting
http://www.gmx.net/de/ and playing with the 'GMX Login' box in the
middle right I can indeed click the 'e-mail' and 'Passwort' labels
with the mouse, in which cases the keyboard focus is forwarded to the
respective input fields. With tab-focussable labels many users will
feel like being stuck in the label, since having to press Enter to
move on to the respective input field with every other key press
sucked up is not increasing accessibility. They will enter the name,
tab once, start typing expecting it to go to the password field,
notice that the ****ing 'Passwort' label has the focus and all
inputted text is lost, tab again to get to the password fielöd not
aware that Enter would do that as well. I would suggest either to
directly forward the label focus to the respective input field, or at
least redirect all the keyboard input to there instead just pretend
that no input to act on actually happened.

As it behaves now the accessibility feature is more a regression than
a real help (I didn't know about Enter for moving to the linked
element, and I doubt anybody so far is aware of it, and as an
additional key press which is usually considered unnecessary I doubt
it's becoming popular).

> Maybe, however, only those labels need to be focusable that carry a
> for-attribute which points to an element outside the label.

...and not straight after the label but only when some other visible
text/data is in-between separating label and the linked-to element.
This is the only case of labels where I can imagine labels being used
as kind of anchor links when using keyboard navigation might actually
be useful.

Cheers, Datschge