#88558 - labels being focusable

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Fri Oct 15 12:13:35 BST 2004

On Thursday 14 of October 2004 22:00, Tobias Anton wrote:
> On Dienstag, 12. Oktober 2004 14:18, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> >  Hello,
> >
> >  I'd like to revert http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-cvs&m=108966223527485&w=2
> > in both HEAD and BRANCH, as it causes #88558.
> >
> >  Why has been this done at all? I'm not aware of labels being focusable
> > anywhere, it doesn't make any sense to me. The current behavior is
> > extremely annoying with login screens (e.g. the email login dialog at
> > http://seznam.cz).
>
> I admit that I didn't test this with http://seznam.cz. And indeed, my

 That's not the only site, I remember having the problem with some other sites
too.

> intention wasn't about reimplementing something that already exists.
> Nontheless, it makes sense to me to have a labels be focusable if they can
> be activated. This way, the activation can be triggered by keyboard.
>
> >  Objections?
>
> Reverting that commit would not only make labels unfocusable again, but it
> would also break other working stuff. Returning false in the method
> "HTMLLabelElementImpl::isSelectable()" would do what you expect. However,
> this is not the optimal solution either. I really think a label's
> focusability should depend on whether a click on it (with the mouse) would
> do more than focusing the associated form element. E.g. if a label for a
> link is clicked, the link is supposed to be followed. In that case, the
> label can be regarded a placeholder for the link and it should be focusable
> in order to allow keyboard-only users to trigger all actions that are also
> available to a mouse-user.

 I'm not sure what you mean with a label for a link. It it supposed to be just
something like this?

 I fail to see the point of focusable labels. In normal Qt applications they
are not. In other browsers they are not. And even in the cases you suggest,
the label's element itself is focusable, so where's the point of allowing the
label being focusable as well? The ability to focus a label is just getting
in the way of focusing the element itself.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org