AnandTech review of Safari

Roger Larsson roger.larsson at norran.net
Tue Oct 12 20:24:37 BST 2004

On Tuesday 12 October 2004 09.59, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> Am Tuesday 12 October 2004 01:10 schrieb Roger Larsson:
> > PS
> >  The resolver queries are interesting, but thera are already bug reports
> >  that handle this...
> >   bug:88855, bug:63088, bug:68894
>
> Set up a local DNS cache - this improved my browsing speed drastically.
> E.g. check in /etc/nscd.conf if it's DNS caching is enabled.

Reading /etc/nscd.conf...

# !!!!!WARNING!!!!! Host cache is insecure!!! The mechanism in nscd to
# cache hosts will cause your local system to not be able to trust
# forward/reverse lookup checks. DO NOT USE THIS if your system relies on
# this sort of security mechanism. Use a caching DNS server instead.
#       enable-cache            hosts           yes

How do I know if my local system relies on this sort of security mechanism?
And why should this be any worse than having a cache IN your browser?

/RogerL