AnandTech review of Safari

Roger Larsson roger.larsson at norran.net
Tue Oct 12 00:10:05 BST 2004

On Sunday 10 October 2004 05.23, Datschge wrote:
> On Saturday 09 October 2004 20:46, Roger Larsson wrote:
> > http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2232&p=13
> >
> > He complains alot about speed...
>
> There where a lot of comments that Quartz and Aqua would be generally
> slower (but 'solid'), that this would be mainly due to XFT's slow
> font antialaising, and that it would improve vastly when disabling
> it. Can't check since I don't have a Mac, but will try it out when I
> get my hands on a friend's powerbook.
>
> > And Konqueror on Linux is even slower!
>
> Who screamed that?

I did - you can test some of this sites by doing an archieve and then
render from it - it is still slower... Well it still downloads stuff - like

I wonder if much of the slowness comes from the ads?
(java script, unrelated sites => extra lookups)

Did a tcpdump, and some statistics on the cnn site
[Remember this is on an archieved(!) web page]
to/from		messages
-----------		---------------
resolver		192
doubleclick	  64
cnn			105 (+ 58 resolver requests for cnn)
ads			  42
ARP (own)	    8
TOTAL		382

/RogerL

PS
	The resolver queries are interesting, but thera are already bug reports
	that handle this...
		bug:88855, bug:63088, bug:68894
DS