XUL support in Konqueror/KHTML.

Paul Sprakes pauls at sprakes.co.uk
Thu Nov 18 18:36:50 GMT 2004

Hi,

I want to try and add xul support to Konqueror and after looking around khtml
source I think I have a good idea for progressing with it.

They way I understand it, xml/DocumentImpl is responsible for creating the
correct node subclasses - if it's in html mode it creates html nodes
otherwise plain xml nodes. My first step would be to remove the html stuff
from this class.

The second step would be to create a plugin factory system - called
NamespaceNodeFactory - which would be instantiated through KTrader with the
namespaceUri as a query.

This would then be followed by NamespaceNodeFactory implementation for the
html namespace. This would contain all the html functionality removed from
DocumentImpl earlier. At this point khtml would have the same functionality
as before I started, but with the added ability to contribute functionality
from a plugin.

Note that if there is no namespace or a plugin for a namespace doesn't exist,
then it will fall back to plain xml nodes.

Obviously the next step is to actually create a plugin xul implementation and
possibly others (xaml?)

So, is it doable? And if so anyone want to help flesh out the design?

Thanks, Paul.

P.S. It was pointed out to me on #kde-devel that kaxul exists in kdenonbeta
(must explore that module more). I'm going to look into it and see what its
capabilities are. Coincidentally, my first thought was to create a xul
app/kpart and call it kaxul. But eventually came to the conclusion that khtml
already supports most of the functionality (javascript, embedded html etc)
and would be easier to implement that way.