KIO Slaves proposal

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Mon Nov 15 18:33:20 GMT 2004

On Monday 15 November 2004 12:00, kfm-devel-request at kde.org wrote:
> > IMO no need to select the protocol, just enter "lan://<the host you are
> > interested in>/ and you get subdirs for ftp, smb, fish and http (nfs
> > doesn't really work I think) if they are running on this host. This works
> > completely without the lisa daemon.
>
> If that does work, the locations KIO slave could implement the
> links in the 'Remote Computer' area as links to the lan KIO slave and only
> ask for a hostname when creating new links. I just tried this on KDE 3.3
> and it failed immediately after typing the URL saying that it requires
> lisa. Has this been changed in HEAD?

I was slightly wrong, correct syntax is:

lan:///<the host>/ (note the 3 slashes).

If this becomes important for KDE 4 (or 3.4) it wouldn't be hard to change it
in some way or to move this functionality to a "remote" ioslave.
Actually the lan-ioslave was intended as some kind of generic remote-ioslave.
I just never got around to implement manual adding of hosts.

Bye
Alex