KIO Slaves proposal

Dik Takken D.H.J.Takken at phys.uu.nl
Mon Nov 15 11:01:49 GMT 2004

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004, Kévin Ottens wrote:

> The main differences I see with the proposed ioslave are:
> 1) I'd keep "Favourite Locations" (bookmarks?) and "Documentation" out of
> it... In particular for Documentation you search it from the application, not

I didn't give much thought which items should be displayed, my only goal
was to show the general idea. I think you're right about the bookmarks,
it's already in the application menu. I was thinking the "Documentation"
entry should not only link to the KDE documentation, it should also
contain links to the man and info KIO slaves. These are most useful and
widely unknown. :)

> inside the ioslave
> 2) I'd add "Trash" to this list...

While that one's actually a dupe of file:/home/$USER/Desktop/Trash, it
might be useful to put in the index. But it can also be reached via the
"$HOME" icon, so it's not really a must-have IMHO.

> Then the default list would contain "$HOME", "media:/", "remote:/",
> "lan:/" (not sure about this one yet... maybe only if "lan:/" is installed,
> it'll have to add another entry itself maybe), "trash:/", "fonts:/",
> "settings:/".

Sounds good to me.

> If we avoid "lan:/" we'll have only 6 entries which is not too many (6 is

The items should be easily distinguishable, which means that there should
be not too many and each of them should look as 'unique' as possible.
Maybe it would be a good idea to have the $HOME item really stand out from
the rest, because it's the most used, I guess.

> generally a max as Kurt pointed earlier). Maybe it would be better to
> integrate "lan:/" with "remote:/"?

remote could have a 'Local Network' item and a 'the Internet' item,
something like that.

> My only concerns now are the following (almost random food for thought):

I'd better not comment on the technical aspects.. :D

>> The dialog for adding a new host is a good idea.
>
> Indeed it's a very good idea. But to keep system:/ simple it'll require
> another ioslave (the "remote:/" used in the mockups sounds good to me).

I wasn't sure about this one either. For me, it was the choice between
showing "remote:/" in the addressbar or "locations:/remote/" ( or
system:/remote ). Don't know about the technical side of the problem.

> I already have some code on my local copy... I'd commit it as soon as
> possible, but it'll require some refactoring first since I wanted to
> experiment something.

Maybe you could post some screenshots on kde-look, just to show our dear
users that this idea is actually being implemented already. You could
easily beat my hi-score.. :)

Cheers,

Dik