KIO slaves wizard

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Mon Nov 8 17:50:10 GMT 2004

Some random thoughts follow...

On Monday 08 November 2004 01:21, kfm-devel-request at kde.org wrote:
> > How about the idea of adding a short
> > description to each entry in the list, like 'browse files on a remote
> > computer' in case of the fish protocol?
>
> this is part of the solution, IMO ... best would be a way to present to the
> user WHAT protocols are available to them for a given network resource,
> which then leads us to how do we know what network resources (machines) are
> available to that user ... this is not equivalent to asking what is on
> their local network anymore.

Well, this is kind of what the lisa daemon tries to solve.
At the top level it shows the available hosts (in the LAN), in each host it
shows the available services on this host (at least some of them).
I hope the rendezvous stuff will help a bit here somehow.

> this is a very difficult problem, really. and i really don't see it be
> completely solvable without cooperation from the network itself in the form
> of self-discovery or queryable network directories.

Still ioslaves aren't about networks only.
man, audiocd, other ioslaves.
Would it make sense to qualify ioslaves as end-user ioslaves (smb, http, fish,
audiocd) and not-end-user ioslaves (pop, smtp) ?
And present only the end-user ioslaves in the not-decided yet GUI element ?

Also all the search shortcuts are not visible to the user...

I think some kind of special combobox would be not too bad (somehow integrated
into the location combobox)

Bye
Alex