unsolved konqueror window.open puzzle

Bsd B freebsd04 at yahoo.com.au
Mon Nov 8 01:29:55 GMT 2004

Hi,
I have spent hours looking for a solution, but I can't
find any answers.
I am having trouble with the window.open functionality
in my Konqueror 3.2.2 (using KDE 3.2.2) browser. I am
running that under freebsd4.10-release. All i am
trying to do is run a simple javascript/html page,
where when you click a link, it opens in a new target
window called "external". So there will be no more
than two windows open at the same time - the original
browser window (to view original page content) and an
external browser window (to view external links).
Javascript is enabled in the browser.
The problem scenario - when I am viewing the original
browser window, and I click a link, it should open in
the external window, which should gain focus. If I
click back to the original window, without closing the
external window, and click another link, the external
window should then gain focus. Now if I minimise the
external window, and click back to the original
window, then click a link, the external window should
maximise and then gain focus.

This functionality works as planned under Mozilla,
Netscape and Internet Explorer. But not so under
Konqueror. If I minimise the external window, and
click a new link from the original window, the
external window does not pop up and take focus,
although the page does change to the desired link. Why
doesn't the external page maximise and take focus as
in the other browsers??

I place the links in an unordered list. My code is as
follows
<ul>
 <li><a href="http://www.link1.com/index.html"
TARGET="external"
onClick="window.open(this.href,'external').focus();return
false">
  link 1</a></li>
 <li><a href="http://www.link2.com/link2/default.php"
TARGET="external"
onClick="window.open(this.href,'external').focus();return
false">
  link 2</a></li>
</ul>

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions/alternatives to
get this working? I am really stumped.
Thanks in advance
bob

http://au.movies.yahoo.com