KIO slaves wizard

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Nov 8 00:09:04 GMT 2004

On Sunday 07 November 2004 01:45, Dik Takken wrote:
> What are you trying to say? Even a protocol-dropdown won't work because
> users don't even know what 'fish' is?

correct

> How about the idea of adding a short
> description to each entry in the list, like 'browse files on a remote
> computer' in case of the fish protocol?

this is part of the solution, IMO ... best would be a way to present to the
user WHAT protocols are available to them for a given network resource, which
then leads us to how do we know what network resources (machines) are
available to that user ... this is not equivalent to asking what is on their
local network anymore.

this is a very difficult problem, really. and i really don't see it be
completely solvable without cooperation from the network itself in the form
of self-discovery or queryable network directories.

> > 	1. subtle UI elements that are provided as part of traditional-looking
> > elements that provide aid without getting in the way or making things
> > look more complex.
>
> Does QT 4 have more of these subtle elements (like the one you described
> above) or do we need to code our own custom widgets?

i think we're on our own here...

--
Aaron J. Seigo