KIO slaves wizard

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Nov 7 18:17:30 GMT 2004

On Sunday 07 November 2004 10:49, Leo Savernik wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 7. November 2004 16:16 schrieb Dik Takken:
> > We split the location bar into two parts, the protocol part and the
> > address part.
>
> [...]
>
> > This solution has one problem (and maybe more), you can't select the
> > whole location string anymore.
>
> Worse, you can't paste urls anymore.

KURL has all the abilities built it to parse out pasted strings into protocol
and "the rest" .. so this is not a problem.

> Please refrain from splitting any address bars.

however, i _do_ agree with this where "splitting" means "using two comboxes,
side by side" since those two comboboxes will present issues with selection,
autocompletion, etc, etc...

what i think _would_ do it (and why i haven't said anything because i'm not up
to coding this right now) is a cutsom combobox what would provide a "drop
down arrow" right INSIDE the edittable area. this widget would behave,
editting wise, as any other combobox but would provide a menu both for any
specific section of the editable area as well as on the whole widget.

a bigger issue, however, is the meaning of protocols. even the proposed wizard
does nothing for this problem, which is the true root of the issue. i mean,
what IS irc6 or finger or fish? well, sure, WE might know, but the users that
need this extra help don't.

we don't need more, baroque interfaces (such as wizards for constructing
something as basic as an address), what we need are:

	0. more human friendly ways of describing addresses. raw URL parts are too
technical.
	1. subtle UI elements that are provided as part of traditional-looking
elements that provide aid without getting in the way or making things look
more complex.

--
Aaron J. Seigo