KIO slaves wizard

Dik Takken D.H.J.Takken at phys.uu.nl
Sun Nov 7 17:22:10 GMT 2004

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004, slaout wrote:

>> This could be solved by leaving the location bar untouched and popup a KIO
>> combo when the user hovers the mouse pointer over the protocol part of
>> the location string, much like the hover close buttons on Konqueror's
>> tabs. This will leave everything as it is now, unless you hover your mouse
>> over the left end of the location bar. Manually typing full URL's in the
>> address bar will still work. Also, it will be possible to make the combo
>> optional. Power users may not like it.
>
> Yes, that's yet another (good) idea.
> However only Konqueror (and eventually Open/Save dialog) woud have this
> "popup widget". Not very consistent and expectable.

Inconsistent with respect to... what? We can change it everywhere, can we
not?

> And what about if I want to select the first characters of the URL?
> The popup combo will... popup and... we would need to find another hack.

You can hack around that. You could add a delay before the combo appears,
and you could disable the combo when the user is busy selecting the URL.

> BTW, tabs popup close button also have usability problems.

That's because accidentally clicking on these buttons causes a small
disaster. Accidentally clicking the KIO combo won't harm anyone.

> Perhaps I'm alone to think the wizard icon+dialog is a good solution?

I think the button does not 'look' useful, because you can't guess what it
does just by looking at it. It will be just one more button that many
users never try out, much like the 'clear address bar' and 'go to'
buttons. A protocol combo will really catch the user's eye, I think.