[ANNOUNCE] Spring loading folder behaviour (bad news inside)

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at cirulla.net
Thu May 27 11:31:00 BST 2004

El Thursday 27 May 2004 11:53, Koos Vriezen escribió:
> On Thu, May 27, 2004 at 11:14:36AM +0200, David Faure wrote:

> > > Please do so. Knowingly infringing a patent creates big liability issues for
> > > everyone involved.
> >
> > Hmm, so we should get rid of the trash can too?
> > (I thought this was a Xerox patent, not a Mac patent, BTW. At least Xerox had
> > prior art for sure)
> >
> > How about asking Apple "is it ok that we implement spring loading"?
> > Or how about finding a way to have it that doesn't infringe on the patent?
> > "Just reverting" looks a bit extreme to me.
>
> Btw, isn't this a US versus the free world issue? (I know EU will be non free
> soon too, but everyone involved particularly mentioned things like a progress
> slider could not be patented).
> Why do I have to suffer from overseas laws (esp. those that doubtfully will hold
> in court)?
> IMHO let apple ask KDE to remove it.
>
> Koos

I am not a lawyer, and even if I were, legislation differs in various parts of
the world. It also seems to get worse and worse all over the world for us,
but that is another story.

However, since the kde group distributes source code only, *we* should be safe
enough. At least, the freetype and lame people think to be safe, under the
assumption that only an executable file can infringe the patent. I think also
that people is allowed trying out the patented algoritms for their own study,
or scientific purposes.

So I think we are allowed to try out the patent-covered things, as long as we do
not distribute binaries.

To make life easier to packageres, maybe the default configure script should
disable features that may be patented. The packagers could check if patents are
valid in their target market, and enable the features if they feel safe.

On our side, we could try to check if the features could be implemented
without breaking patents. Maybe slightly changing the behaviour is enough.

We are already infringing the progress bar patent in a number of places,
however... so I'm not sure we'll be able to do anything at all, in a few years :(

Luciano