Does the khtml rendering engine provide DOM2 Range support?

Ganesh Ramachandran ganesh at nextance.com
Wed May 26 23:05:08 BST 2004

Hello,

Does the khtml rendering engine provide DOM2 Range support?
http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-DOM-Level-2-Traversal-Range-20001113/range
s.html
Is this something that is available now? Planned?

My company, www.nextance.com, has developed a rich text editor component
using only Javascript and DHTML (no plugins or applets). This editor
currently works in Internet Explorer and Mozilla. We are now looking to
port this to the Safari browser.

Currently Safari provides no mechanism to determine what part of the DOM
content is selected.  This is mandatory to support any kind of HTML
editor, since most of the functionality works off of the current cursor
position or selected text.  For example, the basic mechanism of
positioning the cursor and typing in text cannot be supported without
this, because we do not know where in the DOM the cursor is positioned
in order to insert the typed text.  Similarly, formatting of a block of
selected text cannot be performed because we do not know where in the
DOM the selection starts and ends.

Does the khtml rendering engine provide DOM2 Range support needed to do
this kind of component?

There are 2 additional requirements that I need some guidance on:
1) Access to system clipboard for copy/paste functionality - Both IE and
Mozilla provide mechanisms to access the system clipboard (HTML and text
formats) in order to copy/paste text to/from another application.
Without this support, the most we would be able to support on Safari
would be copy/paste within the RTE window.

2)     Cursor emulation - Both IE and Mozilla provide mechanisms to
display a blinking caret at the current cursor position.  Without this
support, we would need to emulate this on Safari through an image or
special character placed at the current cursor position.

I really appreciate any information/help that you may be able to
provide.

We are looking for an experienced developer to help with this project on
a contract basis. Anyone interested may contact me directly.

Regards,
Ganesh

Ganesh Ramachandran
Vice-President of Engineering
Nextance, Inc.
1600 Seaport Blvd., 4th Floor (West), Redwood City, CA 94063
Direct: (650) 716-2411  Main: (650) 716-2400  Fax: (650) 716-2399
www.nextance.com