KHTML Thai Word Break patchc

Lars Knoll lars at trolltech.com
Fri May 7 09:38:30 BST 2004

On Friday 07 May 2004 10:21, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> Am Friday 07 May 2004 07:34 schrieb Pattara Kiatisevi:
> > libthai.la belongs to libthai-dev package (Debian). I was testing without
> > the libthai-dev.
> >
> > So should we go for "libthai.so.0"?
>
> I find it pretty dangerous. You make it very hard for (non-debian) users to
> make sure their setup works. Why not simply create a configure check that
> checks for libthai-dev and takes the functions in directly if it's present?
> On the next update of libthai to .so.1 you break konqueror without even
> noticing.

It's not that bad, as all that happens is that Thai line breaking will fall
back to the default implementation.

I'm ok with a configure check (as we then also can give a warning if the lib
is not found), but I don't think we should link against the lib. IMO it's
better to dlopen the functionality most of our users will never need.
dlopening has the advantage that you keep KDE independent of libthai, but if
installed it will nevertheless work.

Lars