KHTML Thai Word Break patchc

Simon Hausmann hausmann at kde.org
Fri May 7 00:27:11 BST 2004

On Friday 07 May 2004 00:10, Lars Knoll wrote:
> On Thursday 06 May 2004 18:33, David Faure wrote:

> > > At least my installation of libthai (downloaded the sources yesterday)
> > > installs a .la file. But it installs into /usr/local by default, could
> > > that make a difference?
> >
> > Yes, KLibLoader accepts full paths, but otherwise simply looks in the KDE
> > directories (for the resources "lib" and "module").
> > I guess this needs a configure check, that finds libthai.la, and saves
> > its location to config.h, so that you can give the full path to
> > KLibLoader::library().
>
> libthai only links against libc and has no other dependencies. In this case
> I think it might be fine to just open it with "libthai.so".

I think the safest way would be to open libthai.so.0 . libthai.so and
libthai.la are usually put into development packages because in the regular
packages they'd break multiple installations of the same library in differing
major versions, and usually they are needed at link time only anyway. So
either you open those and require people to install the development package
of libthai or you stay with libthai.so.0 for example and by this also assure
that the ABI is stable, because you either get the one of libthai.so.0 or
you'd otherwise get a library with a different major version, which usually
means breakage of ABI, which is better to avoid at run-time :)

Simon