Type-ahead find

Arend van Beelen jr. arend at auton.nl
Sat Mar 20 13:52:25 GMT 2004

On Saturday 20 March 2004 11:44, Mikolaj Machowski wrote:
> > >   You could bind "n" to do that when type-ahead mode is inactive.
> >
> > This one doesn't seem very logical to me. It would be much more intuitive
> > to use F3 just like the regular Search Next. Furthermore, using "n" has a
> > disadvantage where you need to exit type-ahead first, either by pressing
> > Escape or waiting 3 seconds. Being able to immediately press F3 just
> > makes more sense IMHO.
>
> 1. When introducing Vi(m) compability options do it right. 'n' _is_
>    a logical next look for those who knew convention.
Well, I'm not introducing vi compatibility at all, I just keep the bindings
for 'h', 'j', 'k' and 'l' as they are now. Also, you would still have to
press Escape and then 'n' or otherwise wait 3 seconds. Not very intuitive if
you ask me.

> 2. Not sure if mixing regular search and type-ahead search histories is
>    good thing.
Why not? If the user would have to differentiate between Find Next for regular
search and Find Next for type-ahead find, it would become a real mess, if you
ask me.

> BTW. What about other KHTML-aware apps like kmail, knode, etc.?
Type-ahead works in all KHTML instances. Unfortunately KMail for instance uses
a lot of single-letter shortcuts which are caught before they reach the KHTML
component, rendering the type-ahead find quite useless. So either the
single-letter shortcuts need to go or (most likely) I need to add an explicit
switch that turns on type-ahead find which then can be used by Konqueror and
other applications that wish to use it.

--
Arend van Beelen jr.
http://www.liacs.nl/~dvbeelen

For I know now, I'm a puppet in a silent stage show.
-- Nightwish