Type-ahead find

Arend van Beelen jr. arend at auton.nl
Fri Mar 19 15:23:08 GMT 2004

Hi!

I've made a little patch that implements type-ahead find in KHTML. I didn't
want to put it in CVS right away as there are still some issues I would like
some help and feedback with:

- KHTML uses the H, J, K and L keys for scrolling, just like vi. Also the
space key is used to scroll down. These keys will undoubtly interfere with
type-ahead find. Right now you can disable type-ahead find by defining
KHTML_NO_TYPE_AHEAD_FIND, but I guess some dynamic switch would be needed if
the patch goes in for people who really like the vi keys.

- Pressing F3 won't find the next occurrence of the string you're searching
for. Now this is related to the functions findTextBegin() and the old
findTextNext() I use. Can someone explain how I use the new API which
(hopefully) gets the F3 key to work. (Btw, this problem affects my Google
search bar as well)

- Currently, the patch will search all text. However, the type-ahead find in
Mozilla by default limits itself to links, which is a good idea I think. I'm
afraid some extension to the search functions would be needed to support
this. Any idea's?

Thanks for your help.

--
Arend van Beelen jr.
http://www.liacs.nl/~dvbeelen

Why wait for hell if you can grab it all today?
-- Xynobite