konqy fm problems: save settings in current directory

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Tue Mar 16 20:58:04 GMT 2004

Hi,

"Settings->View properties saved in current folder"  has two problems.

First the name, I would expect that a dialog opens which show the properties
in the current folder. But it means ...from now on the "view properties [will
be] saved in current folder". This is the smaller problem. Now to the real
one.

How is this supposed to behave ?
If I check it, and change settings, they are saved in the current directory,
ok. If I change into another directory these settings stay unchanged.
Although I would have expected that I get my default settings back, but I
don't. I guess this is simply a bug, I will have a look at it.
I.e. if I change from a directory with a .directory file into a directory
without a .directory file, the settings should be read from the global konqy
settings file.

What is the purpose of this feature ?
I would have guessed that the intention is that if you want to have special
settings in some directories, you select "Save in current dir" in these
directories, change your settings as you want to, and then save it. If you
later on enter these directories, your modified settings are read, if you
change back, you get the default settings back.

If konqy would save the settings only on demand, this behaviour would be
easier to understand. You set your default settings and select "Save
settings". Then, if you are in some special directory, you change the
settings, select "Save settings for current dir only" and you are done.

Currently you have to check "Save in current dir", change the settings, and
then uncheck it again.

What do you think how it should behave ? David ?

Bye
Alex