plugin badness

Koos Vriezen koos.vriezen at xs4all.nl
Tue Mar 16 16:47:15 GMT 2004

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 07:11:10AM -0500, George Staikos wrote:

> Lately there have been scores of reports of plugins (flash in particular) no
> longer working in konqueror.  There have been absolutely no changes to
> qxembed or nspluginviewer, but I think I see a possible reason, though I
> can't reproduce it myself.  It seems like we now list -every- kpart as a
> plugin.  I think this is bound to cause problems.

Yesterday I noticed too a site that didn't work anymore. Reason was that after
a mimetype check of flash, it accessed plugins["Shockwave Flash"] what failed.
It's r1.67 kjs_navigator.cpp that is the cause of this :-(

> - We list KHTML as a plugin for KHTML.  How strange (from a website
> perspective).
> - We list libnsplugin as a plugin.  That is, we list the plugin loader as a
> plugin, which supports all the mimetypes that all the plugins support of
> course.  This must be extremely confusing to some sites out there and results
> in at -least- duplicating each mime type.
> - We publish a list of all installed kparts to any website out there that
> wants to know (minor privacy concerns)
> - We list rediculous things like Inode/directory parts to websites
> - The plugin list is -huge- and thus slow to iterate
> - Many mimetypes are now duplicated, triplicated, or more

All these are plugable. Only nsplugin is an exception that it plugs something
else (obviously needed for some scripts).

> Why don't we add a new property to kparts that says to publish them to remote
> sites who query for a list of plugins?

Sounds fine with me. Btw, too bad you didn't react on this last mounth.