Something to play with: PATCH kio_ftp to use copy()

Dr. Juergen Pfennig info at j-pfennig.de
Tue Mar 9 13:04:06 GMT 2004

Sorry - this time I don't forget to attach the patch!
JPF

Hi there!
Here is a patch for kio_ftp that can improve the up and download speed
dramatically (when using a fast network connection). The purpose of this work
is to raise attention for a little change concerning kio slaves. When at
least one end of a copy job is a local file, kio slaves should support
copy(). Until now only kio_file did this.

Unfortunately there is a little problem with KIO::slavebase::canResume() -
which cannot be called from inside copy(). I hope the a solution for
canResume() will be found soon. Another quirk is that move actions do not
call copy() at all.

On the other side: the canResume() problem is absolutely not fatal, it's just
that kio_ftp would not ask the user before resuming. There is also a little
quirk with resumed uploads: for a few seconds a wrong speed and time estimate
get displayed.

I will wait a while before applying the patch to head - even if I do that I
will comment-out "copyFromFile" and "copyToFile" in ftp.protocol to disable
the copy() code (until the canResume() problem is solved).

Yours Jürgen