configuration dialog usability question

James Marsh james at snoopy.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Mar 2 12:24:52 GMT 2004

* Sashmit Bhaduri <smt at inbox.lv> [02-Mar-2004 03:50]:
> What do you propose as an alternative? A hierarchical tree is *even
> more* confusing in this regard. I think what we've got is probably
> the best compromise that can be made in terms of layout.

Certainly I can never remember where a particular option resides in
the standard KDE control center. I tend to find the keyword search
facility invaluable.

> Perhaps "Configure Konqueror" can become "Configure File Manager", or
> "Configure Web Browser", depending on the profile, and can stay
> "Configure Konqueror" in all other profiles (as well as custom ones)
>
> Any opinions about this? I'd be willing to implement it.

Maybe the granularity could be reduced by using tabs within the
different sections. For example:

History/Cache/Proxy/Crypto could become "Privacy and Security"

Behavior/Performance could be merged into "Behavior"

Stylesheets/Fonts/Previews/Appearance could become "Appearance"

Etc.

James.