getSelection() returns a string instead of Selection object

Nick Swerdlow NSwerdlow at Nextance.com
Fri Jun 4 18:16:50 BST 2004

Hello all,

I am trying to create a DOM Range object based off a user's selection.

In Mozilla I can easily do this using:
window.getSelection().getRangeAt(0)
In IE I can do document.selection.createRange();

However, in Konqueror(3.2.2) document.getSelection() returns a string
instead of a Selection object and window.getSelection() doesn't work at
all.

I know that the KHTML function KHTMLPart::selection() returns a
DOM::Range object
(http://developer.kde.org/documentation/library/2.0-api/classref/khtml/K
HTMLPart.html#selection)

The question is, is this function somehow exposed through JavaScript?

If not, does anyone know of a workaround for the problem?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can point me in the right direction.

Nick