Last step for accesskeys...

Mikolaj Machowski mikmach at wp.pl
Fri Jul 30 15:46:47 BST 2004

Dnia piątek, 30 lipca 2004 13:06, Tobias Anton napisał:
> On Freitag, 30. Juli 2004 10:12, Mikolaj Machowski wrote:
> > Rhytm of work. Would you like all buttons in different sizes?
>
> You're right; It would look ugly. However, a different size in the
> dimension "time" cannot simply be compared to a different size in a
> space dimension.

Cannot be compared directly but problems with ease of use are similar.

I am heavy Vim user. Default timeout in Vim is 4s. This is so "wired"
for me that 3s Konq timeout for type-ahead is just a bit too short.

Note: I am not saying "4s is perfect" - just different timeouts are
creating problems for users.
If I set some time ago Vim 'timeout' for 3s Konq type-ahead timeout
would be perfect for me.

> And different user actions require different handling. For the example
> of accesskeys, after pressing Ctrl, the user is presented a box for
> every accesskey available. It takes some time to grasp all this
> information before an action can be taken. I don't think that a timeout
> as little as 3 seconds or even less is sufficient.

I don't think 3s is good for anything. I would rather argue for 5s
type-ahead timeout. Or better - make KDE-wide 'timeout' option and allow
various actions use it. It shouldn't be configured with GUI, maybe just
config files, or not configured at all.

> I'd even say that the accesskey feature shouldn't have a timeout at all,

That would be second solution.

Currently (before changes you mentioned) are too much timeouts in Konq:
- looking for files in file manager mode: 300ms (?)
- type-ahead: 3s
- accesskeys: 5s

And probably many more - and this is only Konq!

m.
--
The most difficult thing in the world is to know how to do a thing
and to watch someone else doing it wrong, without commenting.