[Patch] Fixing the Access Key system

bj at altern.org bj at altern.org
Mon Jul 12 15:52:54 BST 2004

Currently, the accesskey support is broken since it conflicts with system wide
shortcuts. If you have an accesskey="l" in a web page, you end up with a
locked Desktop!

I created a patch that changes the behaviour to this:
To enable accesskey, you need to press "Ctrl" and then the accesskey.
Example:
Pressing "Ctrl+a" will behave as a normal konqueror shortcut.
Pressing "Ctrl" and then key "a" will activate the "a" accesskey (there is a 5
second timeout for the second key).

Additionnaly, (and this can be removed from the patch if necessary), If you
press "Ctrl" again, small passive popups will appear in front of each element
in the page with an accesskey, showing that accesskey. (I must say i love
that feature, and it is a nice way to "emphasize" the role of the accesskey
as recommanded by the W3)

This new behaviour could be advertised in konqueror's about: page.

It would fix #45788 and #83053
What do you think about it ?