VisualID SigGraph2004 paper

Roger Larsson roger.larsson at norran.net
Sat Jul 10 10:20:19 BST 2004

On Friday 09 July 2004 23.25, Holger Waechtler wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> while browsing the SigGraph2004 paper list I encountered a paper that
> analyzes the typical navigation behaviour and weaknesses of 'average'
> people on common 2D desktop and icon sceneries and proposing an
> interesting and plausible scheme to improve visual memory of users's
> file icon representation including some pretty interesting user studies:
> http://www.idiom.com/~zilla/Work/visualids.pdf

Yes, I think they onto something here.

Anyway our desktop is much better than the example of current desktop
they show :-)

Using "Huge" icon size together with "folder icons reflects content"
gives a nice visual aid for many files.

We do not reformat page unnecessary (I dislike WinXP that not only
reformats the page when deleting a file, but also moves to a different
location... Konquerors approach to wait a while before reformatting is
MUCH better)

But I have still felt the need to manually assign icons to some often
used folders. And the visual difference of source code is... none...

> Maybe it's an interesting approach that might get incorporated into
> konqueror/kfm/nautilus/thegnomefilemanager, maybe some of you are
> interested in their research results,
> have a good weekend,

Generating icons from filename only and not contens is an interesting
approach! (I think I would like it)

/RogerL

--
Roger Larsson