search bar floats

Koos Vriezen koos.vriezen at xs4all.nl
Fri Jul 2 11:27:57 BST 2004

On Fri, Jul 02, 2004 at 10:31:01AM +0200, Luciano Montanaro wrote:

> > > I'd say bug. I too find the bar is a bit too eager to popup. I have
> > > changed its .rc file in my local copy to make it separate, and to be
> > > able to disable it from the settings menu, but it pops up even if I try
> > > to disable it.
> > > I think there should be a way to disable the bar, as 	there is for the
> > > rellink bar (of which, on the other hand, I have three copies in my
> > > konqueror window, currently:-(, so that too may need some fix.).
> >
> > I'd say it is part of wider problem: toolbars in KDE (and especially in
> > Konq) can be completely unpredictable. Also ways to control them are too
> > limited - MS-Office is perfect.
>
> There are two problems, actually. One is that, as you say, there is no way to
> lay out the toolbars, and keep them the way you prefer in a predictable way.

Anyone knows why that is. Seems kword does this nicely (so probably no qt
issue).

> The other is that there is no way to enable/disable Konqueror plugins.
> Since the number of Konqueror plugins is growing, this is beginning to
> be a problem. The most cited unwanted plugin is the Cervisia part - which I find
> quite valuable, but which freaks out our usability team...

Well, move the .desktop out of $KDEDIR/share/applnk/.hidden/ works. Strange
name for this btw. (why .hidden?). Hmm, even that keeps the plugin loading...
there is only a X-KDE-ParentApp propery...must be something else how these
plugins register them selves. Maybe someone can enlight me here?
How does this work and how hard would it be to have a way for disabling
these as a quickfix (eg w/o gui) for 3.3?

Koos