RFC: change font sizes

Martijn Klingens klingens at kde.org
Fri Jan 30 23:27:54 GMT 2004

On Thursday 29 January 2004 10:41, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> We've got some bug reports lately about too small font sizes.
> So I've did some research on that matter and I found out, that
> IE got _much_ larger fonts on standard pages.

Isn't that because IE hardcodes a 96dpi setting whereas Qt properly honours
the X server's DPI setting? After all points are a size that can be mapped
one-to-one to inches. There are 72 points in an inch, so a 12 point font
should be 1/6th inch tall, assuming the size of the display is known to the
OS (so it can calculate the DPI), or the DPI is properly specified.

I'm not sure we should butcher these typographical rules just to become IE
compliant.

--
Martijn