RFC: change font sizes

Stephan Kulow coolo at kde.org
Thu Jan 29 09:41:43 GMT 2004

Hi!

We've got some bug reports lately about too small font sizes.
So I've did some research on that matter and I found out, that
IE got _much_ larger fonts on standard pages.

So I'd like to gather some comments on the idea to shift our
fontSizes[] a bit towards what IE got.
Take a look at http://ktown.kde.org/~coolo/fonts1.jpeg, there
I took a picture of IE, mozilla and a konqueror with 10pt and
one with 12pt medium font size.

What you see is that our default fonts is pretty close to mozilla
(beside the size=0 and font=-1 - at least the later is fixed
meanwhile in CVS). But IE is a larger all in all - especially at
size=2 and size=3. And what's interesting too is that
font-size: small is the same as "normal".

So when I'm not mistaken, IE got
medium: 13pt
normal: 12pt
small: 12pt
smaller: 10pt
size=0: 8pt
size=1: 8pt
size=2: 10pt
size=3: 12pt
size=4: 13pt

The CSS1 spec suggests a factor of 1.5 between medium, normal and small,
but while we've got 1.2 we're already way smaller than what IE got.

So what I'd suggest: increase medium font size to 12, throw away the linear
factor and use the factors IE's font rendering suggest. That would lead to one
problem right now though: form elements got a 10pt font size in IE and mozilla,
while they have font-size: normal for khtml (IE's buttons do not increase or
decrease when you change the text size).

Greetings, Stephan

--
There may be no I in TEAM, but a M and an E.