mime, magic files

Allan Sandfeld Jensen allan at carewolf.com
Thu Jan 15 20:38:14 GMT 2004

On Thursday 15 January 2004 17:38, Mikolaj Machowski wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am not sure if this is proper list but it affects Konq:
>
> How exactly Konqueror (and whole KDE) recognizes filetypes?
>
> AFAIU it is mix of official magic files (file(1) command),
> KDE own resources and personal in .kde .
>
> But looks like it does not use $HOME/.magic and $HOME/.magic.mime
> files.

No, KDE uses its own fork of the file-magic, just like Apache does. This is
necessary since file doesnt find mime-types but only prints a description.
The magic file is in $prefix/share/mimelnk/magic. On top of this is a few
special rules handcoded in KMimeMagic.

For KDE 3.3 or 4.0, freedesktop.org's shared-mime database will be used.

`Allan