Konqueror as a webdav client?

Dawit A. adawit at kde.org
Thu Jan 1 07:07:24 GMT 2004

On Wednesday 31 December 2003 23:33, Peter Gostelow wrote:

> > I think you completely misunderstood the whole notion. The webdav spec.
> > does not tell clients how to handle a particular resource.
>
> Please read the nestroy link I submitted. For those who can't access the
> link, here are the relevant parts:

I have already looked at it.  It simply demonstrates how one can implement a
groupware functionality into an existing client using the webDAV spec. But
that does not mean that if a client does not support such a feature it is not
a webDAV client! Please read RFC 2518, HTTP Extensions for Distributed
Authoring -- WEBDAV.  You can also look at RFC 3253, Versioning Extensions to
WebDAV. Konqueror, actually kio_http, does not support the later spec. But it
has built-in support for the first one.

> >From the above the following points are:
>
> 1- WebDAV extends the World Wide Web and changes browser behaviour.

Show me where it says it changes "browser behavior" in the original spec.

> 2- Users _must_ enter paramater values for WebDAV headers.

Why ? Normal users should not be bothered with such nonsense. Now if you were
designing a document management system or a version control system that might
make sense. Even then the webDAV spec. does not make any such demands. As
with most other specs. it only suggests what a client might want to do in
certain scenarios but leaves the implementation of how a resouce should be
presented up to the creators of the client app, as most any spec should.

> 3- A URI only defines a resource, not the header, nor the body paramaters.
I do not understand what you mean here...

> 4- To use Konqueror as a WebDAV client it must provide the extra
> functionality required in 1 and 2.

Not true. The link you provided shows how one can extend a browser to
implement groupware functionality using webDAV. It is not the definitive
guide on what a webDAV client is or should be. Don't believe me. Look at how
MS implements their so called "webfolders".  And I am sure many of the
clients listed in the webdav.org site implement the spec. based on their own
criteria.

> Apparently, Konqueror does implement the protocol, but not as a web
> authoring client.

Perhaps not the way you expected it or would like to have it, but it is a
webDAV client. It allows you to do most of the things described in RFC 2518.
You can move, delete rename and edit a file.  For example, open kate or
kwrite or any other KDE editing app. It does not have to be a text editor so
long as it uses KIO, you can save the file, image or anything you edited to
webdav://localhost/dav/<filename>. All of it transparently. The only thing
currently missing is the ability to LOCK and UNLOCK a file in applications
themselves (it is supported by kio_http). I am sure that is something that
will be implemented sometime down the road.

--
Regards,
Dawit A.