Fwd: Re: kdenonbeta/kdom/css

Rob Buis rwlbuis at xs4all.nl
Thu Feb 19 11:55:36 GMT 2004

Hi Zack,

On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 02:45:21PM -0500, Zack Rusin wrote:
> > channels. I mean if there was a #khtml irc channel, we would have
> > been nagging Dirk and co a lot more :)
>
> There is :) We're idling most of the time, but we're there.

Ok, nice :) I didnt know this...

> > I guess there are some future paths for ksvg :
> >
> > 1) Integrate fully inside khtml repository.
> > 2) Install more khtml headers so it is easier to extend khtml, even
> > with code outside khtml repository.
> > 3) Keep working on the kdom prototype, having a functional dom at the
> > cost of code duplication and doubled testing efforts.
> > 4) Stick to the hacks we used for KSVG now to keep the half-working
> > DOM.
> >
> > IMHO number 4 is something we want to avoid, as Niko has already
> > explained.
> >
> > I would like to hear opinions on benefits and downsides to 1 and 2?
> > BTW is there a better place (mailing list?) to discuss things like
> > this? Cheers,
>
> Of course, I'll be strongly pushing against #3 and #4. It's also pretty
> obvious #2 is the most desirable. Lately I have very little time to do
> actual coding but if there's something I'd be willing to spend time on
> it, it's this. The reason being simply that we have this great library,

Thats good news!

> that we can extend some more to produce a truly superior product to
> anything else.

I think konq/khtml is excellent as well, and it is (rightfully) widely
aclaimed to be so.

> To be honest I never looked at KSVG code so I'm not sure what's really
> needed, but if you'll simply list what you'll need I'll start
> incrementally working on each one of those.

Well, I am always ready to answer ksvg related questions, dont hesititate
to contact me about that :)
There are some possible ways to make more use of reuse between khtml
and ksvg, did you have anything in mind?
The event, css and javascript systems are quite similar, but also subtly
different. We need to investigate if there is opportunity to use
roughly the same systems IMHO.
Hopefully Niko can also react to the issue of more khtml/ksvg
integration...
Cheers,

Rob.