KHTML-Patch - show frame around not-yet-loaded images

Germain Garand germain at ebooksfrance.org
Fri Dec 17 10:08:51 GMT 2004

Le Jeudi 16 Décembre 2004 21:42, Leo Savernik a écrit :
> To pour more gas into the fire, here's my mozillated inset implementation:

yess, much better ground for discussion :-)

I set up two pages for comparison (didn't include the Mozish icone though):

http://66.34.41.3/~germain/khtml/shots/img_frame.html
http://66.34.41.3/~germain/khtml/shots/img_frame_inset.html

now before this breaks down to a matter of taste, there's at least one
important argument I'd like to voice for simple frame: it is not intrusive.
It's a nice visual clue, you see it, but you don't notice it.

Comparatively, inset is much more invasive, merely because images are flat
objects in the end - but here, while it loads, it gives a glimpse of 3d
emboss - as if there were extrudations in the page that images were filling
with some kind of "thickness".
This is most apparent on the Coppermine shot, that has a lot of small images.

I think this is needlessly casting on a page's design a concept that does not
belong to the object, and as such, it strikes out unpleasantly.

> See screenshot. The inset solves the uglyness of two adjacent borders.

I'm not convinced by that argument... Inset doesn't suppress the double
border, it converts it to a two tone one that looks like a "stainless steel
wireframe", so it strikes out even more where two border are joint.

At least simple frame appears consistent within the frame set bounding box.
This is quite obvious when comparing the first two Megatokyo shots side to
side.

So, if not for the aspect, what about retaining the most discreet solution? ;)

Greetings,
Germain