File Manager -> Menu -> View -> Set Encoding

Pattara Kiatisevi ott-list at thaigate.nii.ac.jp
Fri Dec 17 05:34:01 GMT 2004

On Friday 17 December 2004 03:31, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Thursday 16 December 2004 18:53, David Faure wrote:
> > On Thursday 16 December 2004 18:18, Otto Pattara wrote:
> > > Hello kfm-devel,
> > >
> > > What do you think about having the feature of setting "View" ->
> > > "Set Encoding" in the file manager mode, similar to that in the
> > > browser mode, so that users can set/view the file name in
> > > different encodings?
> >
> > Ouch - that's much more complex than in KHTML. It touches all
> > file-management operations - i.e. the ioslaves etc.
> > KDE - and in fact Qt - don't support using multiple encodings for
> > filenames.

I see. Anyway do you foresee any chance of supporting this in the
future? Or otherwise how about setting the default encoding to utf-8
(I guess the current one is iso8859-1)?

> We do support different encodings for ftp and fish.

I did a test using fish. It didn't seem to work. With Tools/Select
Remote Charset to "Thai (tis-620)", I created a new file with Thai
name by right click/Create New/File, the file name appears then as
"??????".

Next, I tried create a new file with tis-620-encoded filename using a
Thai X terminal, the fish shows filename using latin characters
(iso8859-1). Do I miss something here?

Cheers,
Ott