konqy preloading kills performance

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Wed Dec 15 12:25:36 GMT 2004

On Wednesday 15 of December 2004 14:09, Dario Massarin wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 December 2004 10:35, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> >  That seems a bit strange, the memory usage check should catch this. Can
> > you check the debug output for "Memory usage increase" and messages
> > containing "preloading" when closing Konqueror? Make sure stdin, stdout
> > and stderr are not tty's, e.g. run it as 'konqueror </dev/null 2>&1 | tee
> > logfile.txt'. What platform and version numbers are that?
>
> I have a kde cvs head compiled from sources a couple of weeks ago.
>
> #uname -a
> Linux fantasy 2.6.6 #5 Fri Dec 3 08:48:54 UTC 2004 i686 Pentium III
> (Coppermine) GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
>

> #konqueror </dev/null 2>&1 | tee logfile.txt
>
> Note that a konqueror run by console will not be kept for preloading
> becouse of the following

 That's why those redirections are there, no need to comment out anything.

> #cat logfile.txt | grep "Memory"
> konqueror: Memory usage increase: 8139776 (16360448/8220672)
>
> Here it seems that the current_memory_usage() function returns a number
> (16360448 bytes) that I would say a bit low.

 Hmm :(. Could you please have a closer look at current_memory_usage() in
konqueror/konq_mainwindow.cc and check what exactly it does when it reports
this low value? Also, the Linux memory check uses /proc/<pid>/statm, not
status, so contents of that could be useful as well.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org