konqy preloading kills performance

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Wed Dec 15 10:35:47 GMT 2004

On Tuesday 14 of December 2004 10:07, Dario Massarin wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 December 2004 12:17, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > On Monday 13 of December 2004 19:24, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am running KDE 3.2 on a PIII/450 MHz with 128 MB RAM.
> > > Keeping konqy instances preloaded kills the performance on this box.
> > > Reason: if I have a konqy with several tabs and visited a bunch of
> > > pages, konqy grows to more than 50 MB in RAM ( or at least quite big),
> > > which causes the box to swap. Now closing konqy doesn't help, since
> > > konqy remains alive and doesn't free its memory. So I had to disable
> > > the preloading to get the box working at reasonable speed again.
> > > So IMHO preloading konqy slows the system on slow (ok, low memory)
> > > systems
> >
> >  Sorry, but "IMHO" doesn't count when it comes to performance. Do you
> > have facts to support your humble opinion?
>
> Hi Lubos. Maybe you will remember that on 27/06 I wrote to this list
> becouse I noticed in konqueror the same behaviour.
>
> This is what I have with:
> #pmap 6238
>
> (where 6238 is a closed konqueror that I have used to browse the web with
> something like 30 tabs opened.
>
> kdeinit: konqueror --preload(6238)
> 08048000 (36 KB)       r-xp (03:03 1930814)  /usr/kde/3.2/bin/kdeinit
> 08051000 (4 KB)        rw-p (03:03 1930814)  /usr/kde/3.2/bin/kdeinit
> 08052000 (46784 KB)    rwxp (00:00 0)
> bfff0000 (64 KB)       rwxp (00:00 0)
> ffffe000 (4 KB)        ---p (00:00 0)
> mapped:   84144 KB writable/private: 50208 KB shared: 1072 KB
>

> What makes me think that the problem is not related to the memory used by
> shared libraries, is the 3rd line:
> 08052000 (46784 KB)    rwxp (00:00 0)
>
> Is this shared memory?
>
> A "fresh" konqueror seems, in fact, to show a different number:
> 0804a000 (3440 KB)     rwxp (00:00 0)
>
> And the last line of the output is:
> mapped:   32096 KB writable/private: 4996 KB shared: 1072 KB
>
> I hope these numbers can be useful.

 That seems a bit strange, the memory usage check should catch this. Can you
check the debug output for "Memory usage increase" and messages containing
"preloading" when closing Konqueror? Make sure stdin, stdout and stderr are
not tty's, e.g. run it as 'konqueror </dev/null 2>&1 | tee logfile.txt'. What
platform and version numbers are that?

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer