konqy preloading kills performance

Allan Sandfeld Jensen kde at carewolf.com
Mon Dec 13 19:47:12 GMT 2004

On Monday 13 December 2004 19:57, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> George wrote:
> > > So IMHO preloading konqy slows the system on slow (ok, low memory)
> > > systems down, on fast systems it is already fast. And the preloading
> > > adds quite some opportunities for bugs (e.g. profiles)
> > > So I'd vote for removing the preloading feature again.
> >
> > Why not just disable it in KControl?
>
> Well, that's what I did finally. No normal user would have known that
> disabling this option will free 50 MB of RAM.
It doesnt! Try cat'ing status in /proc/<pid>. Personally my two konqueror
preloads each has about 5Mbyte of data when all windows are closed. They
ofcourse also has 21Mbyte of libraries, but these are shared with the rest of
the KDE-environment and would be loaded anyway if you use other KDE
applications.

> Allan wrote:
> > Sounds like a kernel problem. Preloading shouldn't kill performance much,
> > as soon as konqueror is unused for a while, the kernel will swap it out
> > and it no longer has an impact on the remaining performance of the
> > machine.
>
> Well, as soon as it is swapped in again (because I want to visit a webpage)
> it has an impact again.

Now you are just being silly. If you need to visit a webpage you would open a
new application anyway and the same amount of memory would be used (5Mb +
webpage).

`Allan