konqy preloading kills performance

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at kdemail.net
Mon Dec 13 19:09:27 GMT 2004

Alexander Neundorf wrote:
>Well, as soon as it is swapped in again (because I want to visit a
> webpage) it has an impact again.
>
>Koos wrote:
>> Wouldn't it make more sense to vote for fixing those memory leaks (and
>> weren't those fixed for 3.3 already)?
>
>I don't think these are memory leaks. It's just the memory used by the
> process which isn't given back to the OS until the process exits I
> think.

I don't think so.

Konqueror should properly free the memory that it is no longer using when
tabs and windows close. That should in turn cause some of that memory to
be returned to the OS -- not all of it because it can only be returned in
pagefuls. Some malloc/free methods will, however, keep the entire pool
and not return a bit.

in any event, the swap-in process should not swap back in the whole memory
footprint of a sudden. Only what is needed will be swapped back in. And
if the memory hasn't been returned to the OS, it'll simple be swapped in
and used, and the process should not grow more.

That is, however, an ideal world...

As far as I know, Konqueror should track its own memory usage and not keep
itself preloaded if it has grown too big. If it's not happening for you,
then either the values are too high or instead the reporting procedures
are underreporting the usage.

--
  Thiago Macieira  -  Registered Linux user #65028
   thiago (AT) macieira (DOT) info

Hwonne seo worulde wæs geong and time_t wæs 0, God gæf þæt Unix þære
worulde. And æfter se God logode in, lá! þæt Unix cwæð "Hello, World" and
ǽghwilc wæs glæd.