less string URL parsing...

Jason McLaughlin jasonmc at safesquid.com
Fri Dec 3 03:54:33 GMT 2004

Hi,

I'm developing a proxy server (www.safesquid.com) that has a feature that allows users to prefix a hostname with a command followed by two periods
(i.e. http://cache..www.yahoo.com) to temporarily change proxy settings, bypass filtering features, view file information, etc... It's been a pretty useful feature.

Since KDE 3.3 it seems Konqueror will no longer accept URL's in this form... I know it probably violates some RFC somewhere, but is there any reason
for this change besides being more standard compliant? every other browser I've tested with has had no problem accepting URL's like this.

Would I be able to convince you guys to allow them? Konqueror's the only browser I use, and I really miss being able to use this feature :)

Or could someone suggest another scheme I can maybe use? Nothing else comes to mind that would work as well as the way I have it.

tnx.

--
Oh drat these computers, they're so naughty and so complex - I could pinch them!
- Marvin the Martian