Reg: File Associations - suggestion for kfm improvement

satish chandra venson_7 at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 27 08:04:34 BST 2004

Problem: As we all know, kfm has a context menu that displays various
applications associated with a given filetype (right-click -> "Open
with"). Currently, the applications so displayed are arranged as per a
user's preference in the KDE File Associations dialog. This can get a
bit messy as a newly installed application might "take over" the
handling of the filetype.

Suggested solution: I think it would make much more sense to arrange
those handler applications according to their frequency of use.

Example: I use Adobe Acrobat to read PDFs. When i install, say, Xpdf,
it automatically takes responsibility of opening PDF documents and so
they no longer open with Acrobat unless i change the association
again. If, suppose, i do restore it and after a while find Xpdf to be
better than Acrobat, i would have to change the associations once
again.

With the suggested solution, if once the user starts using Xpdf more
regularly than Acrobat, the file associations would change
automatically, almost transparent to the user. Also, the handler
applications would be arranged according to their frequency of use in
the "Open with" dialog.

I would like to hear others' comments on this. Thanks for reading and keep
up the good work.

--Venson

NRIs !
http://creative.mediaturf.net/creatives/icicibank/june/icicinri_tol_tl.htm